20th October 2021
Raphael: A Master in the Making
by Sian Walters
17th November 2021
Barcelona 1900: Culmination of creativity in Art
By Drs Helen Sijsling MA
8th December 2021
The Queen of Instruments: The Lute within Old Master Paintings
By Adam Busiakiewicz
19th January 2022
I Got the Dust Bowl Blues
By John Francis
16th February 2022
Hogarth: Harlots,Rakes and Crashing China
By Lars Tharp
16th March 2022
The Power of Jewellery
By Judy Rudoe
20st April 2022
The Antiques Roadshow – Behind the Scenes and the Great Discoveries
By Marc Allum
18th May 2021
Sorolla:The Master of Light
By Arantxa Sardina
WHERE WE MEET
We are very honoured to hold our meetings at the Garrison Library.
We meet the 3rd Wednesday of every month October to May (except December – 2nd Wed) at 7:30pm with membership fee of £65.00 per person per annum or £130.00 per couple per annum a guest fee for a single meeting is £12 from 6:30pm.
The Garrison Library
Constructed on the site of the Governors’ residence during the Spanish occupation of Gibraltar, the library was officially opened in 1804 by the Duke of Kent.
The library served as the headquarters and archive service of the Gibraltar Chronicle, the world’s second oldest English language newspaper. The Library was established for and by the officers of the Garrison of Gibraltar. It has remained a private entity run by a Trust for over two hundred years up until, September 2011, at which point the Library was transferred to the Government of Gibraltar.
The Garrison is a library of 45,000 books, including many rare volumes. This library exists to hold the collection which includes good coverage of the subjects of culture and travel. The library was started to occupy officers stationed in Gibraltar. It has an excellent local history collection. Many lithographs and art prints are held here and many of the furnishings have interesting backgrounds
The dragon tree in the library’s front garden is thought to date from the Spanish occupation when the plant was introduced to Gibraltar by mariners who brought the seeds from the Canary Islands